Happy Monday, people of Roanoke! Let all of you catch up to start today on an informed note.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Mostly sunny and colder. High: 37 Low: 20.
Here are the top 3 stories from today in Roanoke:
- A week after the city of Roanoke implemented a plastic bag tax, the change is causing a lot of confusion in the city and beyond. The new tax only applies to convenience stores, pharmacies and grocery stores within city limits. However, this has caused misunderstanding among shoppers and retailers as to whether it affects stores in Roanoke City or in the greater Roanoke County. (WSLS 10)
- Roanoke police officers made an arrest after a the man was found shot dead in critical condition inside a local business. 52 years Jeffrey E. White from Roanoke and another client would have fought before White left the company. White was then confronted with the victim outside the store, where the shooting took place. (WDBJ7)
- Virginia Governor-elect Glenn Youngkin (right) and Attorney General-elect Jason Miyares (right) have announced their intention to challenge President Joe Biden’s proposed vaccine mandate. This development comes as the Supreme Court hears arguments on the advisability of authorizing the (WDBJ7)
From our sponsor:
today Roanoke Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make the right choice for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS # 3013)
Today in Roanoke:
- Planning Commission – Roanoke City Council (1:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Many Owners of the Town of Roanoke were shocked to see a significant increase in their property tax bill This year. (WSLS 10)
- Want some winter fun with the family? Head toward Elm on ice, where you can rent skates, skate and play putt-putt – all for $ 10. (Facebook)
- the 81st Roanoke Base Police Academy and the 60th Roanoke County Criminal Justice Academy recently diploma. A video recording of the event is available online. (Facebook)
Do you like the Roanoke Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send this link to a friend or neighbor so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Please follow and stay informed. See you tomorrow morning for another update!
– Nicole fallon-peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a graduate journalist and writer in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has been a freelance journalist, editor, editor and editorial director for various B2B media. She is currently the co-owner and operator of the content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.