Beginner's Guide Page 9
The AKC offers youngsters 10 to 18 years of age the opportunity to compete with others their own age at various AKC events. Juniors competing in conformation events are judged on how they present their dogs.
Tips for the First-Time Exhibitor
- Make sure your dog is registered with the AKC.
- Be sure your dog is current on all inoculations.
- Learn the proper techniques for grooming and for presenting your dog in the ring.
- Join your breed's Parent Club, or a Local Specialty and/or All-Breed club in your area.
- Become familiar with the AKC rules and regulations for dog shows.
- Attend some dog shows to observe your breed being judged and how others present your breed. Get a Judging Program at the show to find out ring number and judging time.
Use the knowledge of your breeder.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Attend handling classes with your dog.